Disability Insurance Lawyers Serving Massachusetts
This law firm is comprised of disability insurance lawyers serving Massachusetts and people around the country who have disability claims with insurance companies. As disability insurance lawyers, every lawyer in the firm focuses on helping people whose disability claims were delayed or denied. The firm has significant experience with disability claims, appealing denied disability claims, and lawsuits to recover disability benefits. We have a proven track record of winning lawsuits in federal court and court of appeals.
Disability Insurance Law
disability insurance claims are governed by a federal law known as ERISA. Generally, if you received your disability insurance is through work, your claim is likely covered by ERISA. Because federal law applies, you do not need an attorney located in Massachusetts to pursue your benefits. It is important, however, that you have an experienced ERISA disability attorney.
Disability Cases in Massachusetts
Massachusetts has a federal district court and any appeal is heard by the the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
Some key examples of disability cases include the following:
- Brigham v. Sun Life of Canada, 317 F.3d 72 (1st Cir. 2003) – This case is a great demonstration of how the standard of review can affect your case. In this case, the Court seemed to believe that the claimant was unable to work due to his medical conditions, but nonetheless ruled in Sun Life’s favor. As long as the denial of benefits is reasonable, it will be upheld under an arbitrary and capricious standard of review.
- Doyle v. Paul Revere Life Ins. Co., 144 F.3d 181, 183 (1st Cir. 1998) – In this case, the First Circuit recognized that there is a conflict of interest when an insurance company is responsible for approving or denying benefits and also paying those benefits. In these circumstances (and there must be evidence of a real conflict of interest), the First Circuit determined it would still defer to the insurance company but apply “more bite.” Thus, the court might be a little less likely to rule for the insurance company.
A judge giving an insurance company’s denial of disability benefits “deference” is a difficult concept to grasp. If it seems unfair, it is because it is unfair. In fact, some states have recognized this unfairness and have banned “deference” to insurance companies. Massachusetts has not yet done so.
Our Disability Attorneys Can Help You
Dabdoub Law Firm was built to be a disability insurance law firm.
The firm can help at any stage of your disability claim, including:
- Submitting a disability insurance claim;
- Appealing a long-term disability denial; or
- Filing a lawsuit against your disability insurance company
Hiring an experienced disability attorney is important. Because federal law applies to most disability insurance claims, our lawyers do not have to be located in your state.
Call for a free consultation with an experienced disability attorney.