IME is the abbreviation for an independent medical examination, which is an evaluation with a doctor other than your treating physician who should be neutral and have no vested interest in seeing the claim go one way or another.
These examinations typically hold a relatively significant amount of weight in the decision-making process when it comes to long-term disability claims.
In light of this, you may wonder whether an IME can help prove a long-term disability claim for Long Covid.
In short, the answer is yes, an IME can help prove Long Covid for insurance purposes.
Read on to learn more.
An IME Can Help Prove Long Covid
An IME can help insurers confirm how you contracted the virus as well as what the best course of treatment should be for you.
As previously mentioned, the results of an IME can significantly impact the outcome of your case. There are many IME physicians who have done the following (and more) to prepare for Long Covid medical examinations:
- Received specialized training
- Obtained continuing education credits
- Attended virtual conferences on COVID-19, its symptoms, screening to determine the severity of the infection, and treatment advancements.
However, it is important to keep in mind it is possible that not all IMEs are completely independent.
The insurance company hires an IME doctor to perform an examination for your claim, so it is more likely that the physician will side with those who pay them than you.
This is why it is in your best interest to speak with a skilled long-term disability attorney before undergoing an IME for your claim. A skilled attorney will help guide you through the process and explain the nuances you wouldn’t otherwise know about.
Disability Insurance Companies Have Lawyers. Shouldn’t You?
If you are facing a long-term disability claim denial, you should consult an experienced disability lawyer. Our lawyers specialize in disability claims with insurance companies.
- This law firm has expertise in disability insurance claims;
- The firm was built to fight for people who were wrongly denied long term disability benefits;
- We have fought every major disability insurance company and recovered millions of dollars in disability benefits for clients;
- We have a proven track record of success and have major disability lawsuits that helped make new law.
Because federal law applies to most disability insurance claims, we do not have to be located in your state to help.
All our lawyers commit every day to helping people receive disability benefits from insurance companies. Call to get help with:
- Submitting a disability insurance claim;
- Appealing a long-term disability denial;
- Negotiating a lump-sum settlement; or
- Filing a lawsuit against your disability insurance company.
Call for a free consultation with a disability attorney.