What Is My Employer’s Role in My Disability Insurance Claim?
You have been offered long-term disability coverage through your employment. You may wonder what role your employer plays in your claim. The answer is a very small role.
Generally, your employer’s involvement is limited to the beginning of your claim. As an initial matter, you can and should request your disability insurance policy directly from your employer. Once you decide to pursue disability benefits, the insurance company will send you claim forms you must submit to start the process. One of these forms will be for your employer to fill out.
The following represents some of the information requested of your employer:
- Your hire date
- Last day you worked
- Effective date of long-term disability coverage
- Job duties
It is important your employer accurately completes this form on your behalf.
Outside of completing these forms, your employer will not have any involvement in:
- Reaching out to your medical providers
- Submitting any medical evidence to the insurance company
- Reviewing any medical evidence
- Assessing whether you meet the definition of disability
As a final point, your employer provided disability coverage as a benefit to you. Thus, it should do everything in its power to assist you in getting the benefits you deserve.
Can the Dabdoub Law Firm Help?
Our experienced disability lawyers will make it clear to the insurance carrier that it cannot require you have certain treatment in order to collect disability benefits. We will know your rights under the law and understand the terms of disability insurance policies. Our legal expertise can help.
Our Lawyers Specialize in Disability Insurance Claims
Because our law firm has always focused only on disability insurance, our lawyers are experts in legal representation for disability insurance benefits.
That means our disability lawyers have:
- Won several major disability lawsuits that help make good disability law for claimants;
- Experience fighting every major insurance company, such as UNUM, Hartford, MetLife, CIGNA, Prudential, and more.
- Successfully represented hundreds of clients and won millions of dollars in disability benefits.
Because federal law applies to most disability insurance claims, we can help clients across the country.
Disability insurance companies have lawyers. You should too. Call Dabdoub Law Firm to get experienced disability lawyers on your side.
We can help with:
- Submitting a disability insurance claim;
- Appealing a long-term disability denial;
- Negotiating a lump-sum settlement; or
- Filing a lawsuit against your disability insurance company.
Call for a free consultation with a disability attorney. No fees or costs until you get paid.