A Colorado federal court recently found that MetLife wrongfully denied a Boeing employee’s life insurance claim after his wife passed away by suicide.
Kevin Auwae and his wife, Maria, enrolled in his employer’s group life insurance policy effective January 1, 2018, with coverage of $250,000. Sadly, Mrs. Auwae passed away by suicide on February 4, 2019, in Colorado Springs, CO. When Mr. Auwae submitted a life insurance claim form, MetLife responded that coverage was barred because the group policy excluded deaths by suicide within the first two years of coverage.
The Court’s Review of Mr. Auwae’s Life Insurance Claim
Before the district court, MetLife argued that the revised state statute, which limited suicide exclusions to 1 year, did not apply to group policies such as the one held by Mr. and Mrs. Auwae. The court, however, found that the plain language of the state statute did not distinguish between group and individual policies.
Therefore, the court held that MetLife’s exclusion violated the law and ruled that Ms. Auwae’s group policy does not bar him from receiving the life insurance benefits.
Life & Disability Insurance Companies Have Lawyers. Shouldn’t You?
If you are facing a life insurance or long-term disability claim denial, you should consult an experienced lawyer. Our lawyers specialize in life insurance and disability claims with insurance companies.
- Dabdoub Law Firm has expertise in life and disability insurance claims;
- Our firm was built to fight for people who were wrongly denied life and long-term disability benefits;
- We have fought every major insurance company and recovered millions of dollars in benefits for clients;
- We have a proven track record of success and have won major lawsuits that helped make new law.
All our lawyers commit every day to helping people get life insurance and disability benefits from insurance companies. Call to get help with:
- Submitting a life or disability insurance claim;
- Appealing a life insurance or long-term disability denial;
- Negotiating a lump-sum settlement; or
- Filing a lawsuit against your insurance company.
Call for a free consultation with one of our attorneys.