Dabdoub Law Firm is led by nationally-known disability lawyer Edward Dabdoub.
Born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica, he is one of five attorneys in his immediate family. Since becoming a lawyer, he has focused his law practice on representing people who are entitled to disability benefits from insurance companies.
Why Disability Law?
Eddie's passion for helping people with disability insurance claims started when he was in law school.
As a law student, Eddie helped a man suffering from chronic pain get back his long term disability benefits after his insurance company wrongly terminated payments, even though he was still disabled. After handling that case, he decided to dedicate his legal career to holding disability insurance companies accountable, and he built the Dabdoub Law Firm for that purpose.
About His Practice
Eddie represents clients at all stages of disability insurance claims. He has extensive knowledge of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (“ERISA”) since many of his clients’ long term disability cases are governed by the federal statute.
With such a focus on disability insurance, Dabdoub Law Firm has successfully taken on the toughest opponents and have won major disability lawsuits. Big disability lawsuit wins include:
- Ashmore v. NFL Disability Plan, in which the firm represented a former NFL player who was denied benefits.
- Bradshaw v. Reliance Standard Insurance, where Eddie successfully argued to a federal court of appeal that pregnancy is not a preexisting condition that caused a stroke.
- Kaviani v. Reliance Standard Life Ins. Co., in which Eddie successfully showed that Dr. Kaviani’s evidence of disability far outweighed Reliance Standard’s evidence for no disability.
- Kaviani Win in the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, after Eddie won the lawsuit for a dentist with disabling cervicalgia, Reliance appealed the case. The firm won the appeal and Reliance was ordered to pay our client long-term disability benefits.
- Millis v. Ameritas, where Eddie fought against Ameritas and their specialty own-occupation disability insurance policies for his client who was a liver transplant surgeon in Illinois.
- Gimeno Win in the United States Court of Appeals, after our client lost in district court, Eddie took the case up on appeal to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. The appellate court upheld our client's right to equitable relief under ERISA.
Eddie has experience litigating disability cases in federal and state courts against all major disability insurance companies, including:
- CIGNA / LINA
- Mass Mutual
- Liberty Life
- Met Life
- Lincoln Financial
Hear Eddie argue convincingly to a panel of federal judges that his client’s disability due to a stroke is not a preexisting condition caused by her pregnancy.
Speaker, Lecturer & Author
Attorney Dabdoub has participated as a guest speaker at law conferences both on local and national stages, discussing disability insurance benefits and ERISA for legal organizations such as the American Association for Justice and the Florida Association for Justice.
He has also authored articles on disability insurance and advises other lawyers on disability insurance and ERISA matters.
Education & Background
Eddie graduated with cum laude honors from the University of Miami School of Law. While at law school, he was the recipient of the Ambassador Sue Cobb Scholarship.
Before attending law school, he graduated at the top of his class from Florida International University, earning a Masters in Business Administration, as well as a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from the University of Miami.
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® in Insurance Law, 2022
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite, 2021
- Selected to Super Lawyers list, 2019 - 2023
- Clients' Choice Award – Avvo, 2015 - 2021
- Selected to Rising Stars list, 2014 - 2017
- "Top Attorney" – Avvo