Dr. Groff and his Disability Insurance Policies
The plaintiff, Dr. Groff, purchased three disability policies from Paul Revere. Each policy defined “Total Disability” to mean that “as a result of such injury or sickness, the insured is unable to perform the duties of his regular occupation.”
While skiing in Vail, Colorado, Dr. Groff suffered significant injuries to his shoulder and surrounding areas of his body. Though he was able to return to his practice within weeks of the injury, Dr. Groff was forced to hire an associate surgeon to assist him with the more complex and physically demanding surgeries. In addition, procedures he could previously do in his office now had to be done at a hospital facility with the use of anesthesia to accommodate Dr. Groff’s weakened condition.
Based upon his inability to perform many of his occupational tasks, Dr. Groff filed a claim for “Total Disability” under each of his three policies. In response, Paul Revere denied Dr. Groff’s claims and asserted that he was not totally disabled under the policies because he still had the ability to perform surgical procedures (with assistance) and his practice had not suffered any economic loss since his accident.
The Court’s Decision
In holding that the application of the term “total disability” under the policies to Dr. Groff’s physical condition was a question of fact for a jury to decide, the Court made the following additional findings:
- Total disability does not mean absolute helplessness, but rather the inability to perform all the substantial and material acts necessary to one’s usual occupation in a customary and usual manner.
- Since genuine issues of material fact existed regarding Dr. Groff’s ability to perform certain occupational duties, Paul Revere could not win the case by filing a motion for summary judgment.
Help from an Attorney with Expertise in Disability Insurance
Disability insurance law is complicated. If your claim for long term disability benefits was denied or being delayed by an insurance company, it is important to get help from a lawyer with expertise in disability law.
- Our lawyers specialize in disability insurance;
- Our lawyers have experience with just about every insurance company;
- Our lawyers have won tough disability insurance lawsuits;
- Our lawyers have recovered millions in disability benefits for clients who were wrongly denied.
Because federal law applies to most disability insurance claims, we do not have to be located in your state to help.
Dabdoub Law Firm represents clients nationwide with:
- Submitting a disability insurance claim;
- Appealing a long-term disability denial;
- Negotiating a lump-sum settlement; or
- Filing a lawsuit against your disability insurance company.
Call to speak with a disability insurance attorney. No fees are costs unless clients are paid.