Employer-provided disability insurance for physicians is short-term or long-term disability insurance provided as a benefit through your job. Typically, this type of insurance is governed by a federal statute called ERISA.
We often see group disability insurance policies for physicians contain an “own occupation” definition of disability. In this instance, to be approved for LTD benefits, you must demonstrate you are disabled from working in your occupation as a physician. For example, if you are an anesthesiologist, you must prove you are unable to perform the material and substantial duties of an anesthesiologist.
However, that does not mean you could go work in another occupation or specialty. The policy may contain language that limits or excludes benefits if you work in another job.
It is so important to read and understand your disability insurance policy and consult with an experienced disability insurance attorney before making major decisions regarding your work and disability.
Because physicians are typically high earners, and thus the LTD benefit is high, we often see these claims denied by the insurance company. Common reasons for denials in a physician’s claim for disability benefits include:
- Insufficient medical records – doctors are notorious for not seeking treatment when sick. It is imperative you keep thorough medical records to demonstrate how your medical condition impacts your ability to work
- Lack of proof of occupational duties – we often see insurance companies deny a physician’s claim because the company feels there is insufficient proof that the physician cannot perform the duties of their occupation. Thus, it is important to keep track of CPT codes and other forms of billing to create a clear picture of what duties you perform.
When the time comes for a physician to think about filing for a disability claim, is important to speak with an experienced disability insurance attorney. Getting the claim right from the beginning helps create a smoother process down the road.
Help from a Lawyer with Expertise in Disability Insurance
This law firm was built to be a disability insurance law firm.
That focus means:
- All of our lawyers specialize in disability insurance claims;
- We have experience with every major disability insurance company;
- We have won important long term disability lawsuits.
Our disability lawyers can help you with:
- Submitting disability insurance claims
- Appealing long-term disability denials
- Negotiating lump-sum settlements
- Filing a lawsuit against your disability insurance company.
Hiring an experienced disability attorney is important. Because federal law applies to most disability insurance claims, our lawyers do not have to be located in your state.
Call (800) 969-0488 for a free consultation with an experienced disability attorney. Pay no fees or costs unless you get paid.