What Is Long Covid?
For some, a Covid-19 infection has left long-term effects. Many report feeling chronic headaches, fatigue, insomnia, weakness in the muscles, shortness of breath, anosmia (loss of smell), loss of cognitive function, and low-grade fevers. Long covid’s medical name is “post-acute sequelae of Covid-19,” or PASC.
New Scientific Findings
A team of researchers studied various patients, all of whom reported symptoms of long covid. The study included 209 people. Ranging in age from 18 – 89, the patients were infected with Covid-19 in 2020 and early 2021. Each patient was also treated by the Swedish Medical Center or one of its affiliated clinics.
According to the study, four different factors may contribute to long covid.
- The level of the virus’s RNA early in the infection
- Whether someone has certain antibodies. Some have been found to attack organ tissue after a covid infection. Patients with higher levels of autoantibodies were found to have a shorter supply of protective antibodies, another contributing factor.
- Whether someone previously suffered from the Epstein-Barr virus. This virus has been known to reactivate with certain infections, which may be the case for covid as well.
- Whether someone has Type 2 diabetes.
These four factors do not always sit alone. In many cases, they overlapped among long covid sufferers.
Because of these new findings, researchers have suggested new treatments that could stave off long covid.
One possibility is giving patients antiviral medicines sooner, closer to the time they were diagnosed. For those with reawakened Epstein-Barr, antivirals could be combined with immunotherapies.
Some long covid sufferers continue to have respiratory problems. The study shows that many of these patients have low levels of cortisol. These patients could benefit from cortisol replacement therapy.
Although many of these findings are encouraging, it’s important to remember that this information is still quite new. The sample size of participants was low, and the study is exploratory in nature. It will take more time, more study, and more participants to verify whether these findings are accurate or universal among those with long covid.
Long Covid and Disability
If you were infected with Covid-19, and you haven’t felt healthy since, you may be suffering from long covid. This can affect your ability to properly function, and your work could suffer.
Contact a skilled attorney if long covid symptoms are holding you back. They may be able to help you file for disability benefits.
- Our lawyers specialize in disability insurance;
- Our lawyers have experience with UNUM, Hartford, CIGNA, Reliance Standard, and just about every other insurance company;
- Our lawyers have won tough disability insurance lawsuits;
- Our lawyers have recovered millions in disability benefits for clients who were wrongly denied.
Because federal law applies to most disability insurance claims, we do not have to be located in your state to help.
Dabdoub Law Firm represents clients nationwide with:
- Submitting disability insurance claims
- Appealing long-term disability denials
- Negotiating lump-sum settlements
- Filing a lawsuit against your disability insurance companies
If long covid symptoms are hindering your work, contact us today for a free consultation. We may be able to help you file for disability benefits. Our number is (800) 969-0488, and you can contact us online.