A New York District Court ruled that a claim for long-term disability benefits made by an employee of Brooklyn Public Library is governed by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA). ERISA is a federal law that governs most disability claims. If you are eligible for short term or long term disability benefits through your job, it is likely governed by ERISA.
There are a couple instances where a disability insurance claim would be considered exempt from ERISA. These include:
- Disability coverage offered by government employers or entities
- Disability coverage offered by religiously affiliated organizations
Knowing whether ERISA governs your claim is very important. ERISA is a very complex law which makes it difficult to receive disability insurance benefits. Our ERISA lawyers use very different strategies depending on whether claims are governed by ERISA or not.
The Court Found Brooklyn Public Library is Not a Government Employer/Entity
Most people would assume that Brooklyn Public Library is considered a government entity. Yet, this court reached the opposite conclusion.
In deciding whether Brooklyn Public Library was a government entity, the court looked at six factors. These factors are:
- Whether the library was used for a governmental purpose
- Whether the library acted on behalf of Brooklyn Borough
- Whether there were any private interests and whether Brooklyn Borough acted as an owner
- Whether public authorities have control of the library
- Whether the library was created by state law
- Whether the library had financial autonomy
After analyzing these factors, the court concluded that Brooklyn Public Library was not a government entity. Thus, it ruled this particular disability insurance claim was governed by ERISA and must be reviewed by a federal court.
Working with an Experienced Disability Insurance Lawyer is Important
ERISA law is very complex and favors the insurance companies. Therefore, it is important to understand whether your claim is governed by ERISA. Our experienced ERISA lawyers will help you better understand your coverage and will work with you to try and get your benefits approved.
This law firm has always focused only on disability insurance law. This firm has significant experience fighting all major disability insurance companies and has won several major disability lawsuits against insurers. Our wins have created new law that protects disabled workers.
Call Dabdoub Law Firm to get experienced disability lawyers on your side.
We can help with:
- submitting a disability insurance claim;
- appealing a long term disability denial;
- negotiating a lump-sum settlement;
- filing a lawsuit against your disability insurance company.
The firm represents clients nationwide with disability claims, even if we are not located in your state.
Call to speak with an experienced disability attorney.