A functional capacity evaluation (“FCE”) is a physical test to help determine restrictions and limitations. For a disability insurance claim, an FCE is used to determine whether a person has the physical ability to work in a sedentary, light, medium, or heavy job, or not work at all.
An FCE should be done by a trained physical therapist in a physical therapy facility. During the testing, the therapist will conduct a battery of physical tests to determine things like:
- How long a person can sit, stand walk
- How much a person can lift, carry, push, or pull
- Grip strength
- Whether aprons can squat, kneel or crouch
Iit is important you give full effort during the tests. There is built-in validity being measured. This means the therapist is looking to see if you are giving full effort or exaggerating your abilities. If the validity is questionable, the results are not useful for establishing disability.
Why do I have to go to an FCE?
We send clients to FCE’s to help determine their physical ability in a workplace setting. This type of test objectively establishes what level of work you are physically capable of. In many instances, the test proves you are unable to work in even a sedentary capacity.
We use this test for clients who suffer from a wide range of pain conditions including:
- Chronic back pain
- Failed back syndrome or post-laminectomy syndrome
- Arthritic conditions
- Spinal disorders
- Neurological disorders
If you suffer from a pain condition, an FCE may be a useful test to help prove your disability to your disability insurance carrier.
Contact one of the specialized disability insurance attorneys at Dabdoub Law Firm to discuss the option of an FCE for your case.
Help from an Attorney with Expertise in Disability Insurance
Disability insurance law is complicated. If your claim for long-term disability benefits was denied or being delayed by an insurance company, it is important to get help from a lawyer with expertise in disability law.
- Our lawyers specialize in disability insurance;
- Our lawyers have experience with UNUM, Hartford, CIGNA, Reliance Standard, and just about every other insurance company;
- Our lawyers have won tough disability insurance lawsuits;
- Our lawyers have recovered millions in disability benefits for clients who were wrongly denied.
Because federal law applies to most disability insurance claims, we do not have to be located in your state to help.
Dabdoub Law Firm represents clients nationwide with:
- Submitting a disability insurance claim,
- Appealing a long-term disability denial,
- Negotiating a lump-sum settlement, or
- Filing a lawsuit against your disability insurance company.
Call to speak with a disability insurance attorney. No fees are costs unless clients are paid.