Huge federal court win by Dabdoub Law Firm for a liver transplant surgeon! Click here to read more.

Can I Live Outside the United States and Still Collect LTD Benefits?

The short answer is it depends.

Your disability insurance policy is the key to answering this question. Some policies have language that requires you to live in the United States (and/or Canada) for six consecutive months in a calendar year. The time frame may vary depending on the policy language.

If your policy has a travel restriction, then the answer is no. You cannot live outside the United States for more than the outlined time frame in the policy.

We have seen this type of restriction in various LTD plans or policies such as:

  • Unum
  • Principal
  • Some self-insured plans such as AT&T Employee Benefits Welfare Plan

If you are applying for, or receiving, LTD benefits and thinking about moving out of the country, you should check your policy first.

If you leave the United States and are gone more than 6 months (or what time frame is outlined in your policy), your benefits may be terminated. This is true even if your reason for being away is out of your control. This type of restriction is hard to argue against.

To avoid having an issue with your LTD benefits, it is best to check your policy before traveling.

Our Lawyers Specialize in Disability Insurance Claims

Because our law firm has always focused only on disability insurance, our lawyers are experts in legal representation for disability insurance benefits.That means our disability lawyers have:

Because federal law applies to most disability insurance claims, we can help clients across the country. Disability insurance companies have lawyers. You should too. Call Dabdoub Law Firm to get experienced disability lawyers on your side.

We can help with:

Call for a free consultation with a disability attorney. No fees or costs until you get paid.