When her joint pain and medical diagnoses became unbearable, a pediatric nurse in Summerville, South Carolina was forced to retire. She was initially approved for long-term disability (LTD) benefits with The Standard Insurance Company, but after 24 months, the company terminated her benefits, citing a limit for “Chronic Pain, Musculoskeletal And Connective Tissue Conditions.”
In making this decision, The Standard ignored our client’s extensive list of other medical conditions, as well as the advice of multiple physicians. Fortunately, Dabdoub Law Firm was able to appeal the termination and remedy this poorly made decision.
A Litany of Medical Conditions
Although our client suffers from chronic knee pain and other conditions that might fit into The Standard’s limit for LTD benefits, she also has a medical history that includes:
- Stage 2 mucoepidermoid carcinoma (cancer of the salivary glands)
- Lumbar and cervical degenerative disc disease, spondylosis, and spinal stenosis
- Severe insomnia
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Severe xerostomia (dry mouth) and dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
- Small vessel ischemia disease in the brain
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Major depressive disorder
- Generalized anxiety and panic disorders
In addition to problems with chronic pain, her joints, and her musculoskeletal system, these conditions make our client totally disabled under The Standard’s policy. She is unable to walk more than 100 feet without experiencing pain and uses a cane and rolling walker to get around. Physicians have opined that our client cannot perform work even in a sedentary capacity. In fact, 3 physicians came to the same conclusion.
Dabdoub Law Firm Points Out The Standard’s Error
In an attempt to avoid liability, The Standard cited the limited benefit provision that concerns chronic pain, musculoskeletal, and connective tissue conditions, which is erroneous because our client had multiple conditions. Fortunately, our firm was able to highlight our client’s medical history and explain her current ailments. We also shared insight from her health care providers and proved her eligibility for benefits.
After we illuminated The Standard’s error, they promptly made a favorable decision on our client’s behalf.
Help from a Lawyer with Expertise in Disability Insurance
Disability insurance law is complex. Hiring an experienced disability attorney is important. Because all our disability lawyers at Dabdoub Law Firm focus on disability insurance claims, we have expertise in disability insurance law.
That means we have:
- Experience with every major disability insurance company
- A proven track record of winning major disability lawsuits
- Recovered millions of dollars in disability benefits for clients
And we never charge fees or costs unless our clients get paid.
The firm can help at any stage of your disability insurance claim, including:
- Submitting a disability insurance claim,
- Appealing a long-term disability denial,
- Negotiating a lump-sum settlement, or
- Filing a lawsuit against your disability insurance company.
Because federal law applies to most disability insurance claims, our lawyers can represent clients across the country.
Call us at (800) 969-0488 or contact us online to speak with an experienced disability attorney. Consultations are free.